*INDIVIDUAL RESULTS WILL VARY.
What is laser skin Resurfacing?
Laser resurfacing uses a precise beam of laser light, most frequently known as carbon dioxide (CO2) or erbium (Erbium-YAG), to vaporize away the various layers of skin.
What is Chemical Peeling?
Chemical peeling is a process whereby a chemical solution is applied to the surface of the skin to peel away the top cell layers which will be replaced during the healing process with a fresh, new skin surface.
Yes! Medical Financing is available on approved credit. We accept financing from CareCredit.com and LendingUSA.com. For more information about our Financing options
Chemical Peeling – The Process
Most peels, no matter the type, are performed in nearly the same way. First, your skin is cleansed to reduce all oils, dirt and soap traces. Your hair will also be moved out of the way. Then, the chemical is carefully applied to the appropriate areas using a swab applicator. For some, this may be a full-face peel, which would cover the entire face. Others may need a partial peel, such as around the mouth – for those fine, vertical lines, the forehead – for horizontal wrinkles, or on cheeks – for fine wrinkles and age spots.
You will feel a light burning sensation, which will subside, and you will experience temporary throbbing. After the application, Dr. Chugay may apply an ointment, or for a deep peel, may apply a bandage mask. Dr. Chugay has now “peeled” off the top layer of your skin to reveal a fresh, new surface skin. The entire procedure usually takes from 15 minutes to an hour depending upon the extent and type of Peel used.
- Experience: With 2 generations of doctors, over 30,000 procedures and a lifetimes worth of combined experience, Dr. Nikolas V. Chugay and Dr. Paul N. Chugay have not only the required experience in various surgical and non surgical procedures but Nikolas has helped revolutionize the industry, and Paul is following very closely in his father’s footsteps, drawing on over 40 years of experience.
- Compatibility & Respect: Book a consultation with the doctor. Get a feel for how they treat you; whether they listen to you and what you want. It’s important to thoroughly discuss what you’re trying to achieve with your doctor so they have a clear, concise idea of what your goal is but it’s equally important that you respect your doctor’s experience and education enough to listen to their recommendations. You don’t want a doctor that doesn’t care about YOU.
- Specialization: Ask your doctor about other times they’ve performed the procedure you want.
Types of Chemical Peeling
There are various types of Chemical Peels. The crucial difference is the depth of peeling. Following many years of experience, Dr. Chugay has selected the following three Deep Surface Peeling techniques:
- TCA Peeling
- Phenol Peeling
- Non-Surgical Facelift (EXODERM Technique)
TCA Skin Resurfacing
In most cases, Dr. Chugay will recommend this type of chemical peel over any other type of Facial Resurfacing solution.
Advantages of TCA Peeling
- TCA Peeling can be performed at various depths, which means that almost any skin problem or degree of skin aging can be successfully treated.
- Regardless of its depth, TCA Peels are very gentle to the skin, as compared with Laser Skin Resurfacing and Phenol Peeling. The risk of pigmentation problems and scarring is reduced when a TCA Peel is performed by an experienced surgeon.
- TCA Peeling will reduce fine lines and wrinkles at various depths. Discuss with Dr. Chugay what is best for you.
- You will recover quickly. Unlike Laser Skin Resurfacing or Phenol Peeling (which may require up to a year of healing before redness and swelling are completely gone), TCA Peeling will generally involve from one week up to only several months of recovery. The exact length of recovery will depend on your skin type, your age and the depth of the peel. Dr. Chugay will personally consult with you as regards to your recovery.
- Unlike other techniques, there is little risk of injury to the eye.
- TCA Peel will reveal the natural glow of your skin without the shiny look that is usually produced by a Phenol Peel or Laser Skin Resurfacing.
- TCA Peeling can be safely conducted multiple times.
- TCA Peeling will cause increased Collagen formation and more youthful alignment of Collagen bundles in your skin.
- TCA Peeling will not cause a burn injury unless negligently applied.
While TCA Peeling is available to almost everyone, skin type and coloring are important considerations when it comes to Phenol Peels. The best candidates are usually those with fair, thin skin that have a tendency toward fine facial wrinkling. Phenol Peel is not recommended for highly pigmented skin, such as with Asian, African American and Mediterranean complexions.
Phenol Peeling is very deep. Unlike a TCA Peel, it will usually cause a hypopigmentation (lighter skin tone) or inability to tan. Your healing will also occur over many months. The redeeming quality of Phenol Peeling is its depth; being more aggressive, it can reduce deeper wrinkles and facial imperfections.
Nonetheless, TCA Peels are almost as effective when it comes to wrinkle reduction, when done at a suitable depth. Plus, your risks are much less severe. And for those who have really deep wrinkles, why not consider Vertical Facelift?
Non-Surgical Facelift (Exoderm Technique
It is important to remember that Chemical Peels are not a substitute for a Facelift; but, they can significantly improve the texture of your skin. The Exoderm Technique is, in truth, a diluted form of a Phenol Peel. As such, it is less risky; yet, it is also less effective. Exoderm Solution includes other peeling substances besides phenol.
Are Fruit Acid Peels Effective?
It is important to remember that only deep peels will produce noticeable alteration of your skin texture. Deep Peels can only be administered by a physician. Lighter Peeling, such as that involving fruit acids, Retin A and other substances, can be done by an aesthetician.
What is the Difference Between a Peel and a Cosmetic Exfoliation?
Fruit acids, Retin A, Microdermabrasion and other techniques will exfoliate your skin to various depths. This means that superficial dead skin layers will be forcefully reduced, and your skin would acquire a healthier glow.
While undoubtedly effective in Skin Care products, lighter techniques of Peeling will not significantly reverse deep signs of aging on your face. However, as a maintenance measure, such techniques are extraordinarily effective.
We can offer you a variety of Superficial Peeling solutions including Microdermabrasion, Fruit Peels and a Revolutionary Line of Skin Care Products.
Non-Surgical Facelift (Exoderm Technique
For certain types of scars and pits, dermabrasion, which uses a tool to “sand” the surface of the skin, is the ideal solution. Dermabrasion uses a high speed rotating sanding wheel or brush to peel away the skin. This stimulates new, healthier appearing skin to replace and smooth sun damaged, wrinkled, discolored, or scarred areas.
Dermabrasion can enhance your appearance if your complexion is affected by sun damage, aging, wrinkles, acne scarring, or other types of scars. A yellowish or sallow gray color of the skin caused by ultraviolet damage can be restored to a more youthful-appearing fair complexion with a “rosy glow.” Wrinkles around the mouth, eyes and cheeks are often reduced or dramatically improved. Sun induced brown “liver spots” and discolorations caused by acne can be virtually cleared with this procedure. Scars causing elevations and depressions (“hills and valleys”) in the skin – i.e., chicken pox scars can be improved with resurfacing.
Moderate and more severe scars benefit most from combining scar revision techniques with resurfacing. Similarly, very lax skin – even with the tightening achievable with resurfacing – may benefit from combining a Face Lift with the procedure. Dr. Chugay will discuss this further if it applies to you.